Saturday, June 09, 2007

Mayan Vacation - Part 3

So, the baby is down for the night and I have high hopes of getting our vacation documentation completed today. Here goes.
Day Six - Thursday, May 17th

I seriously have no idea what we did this day. I think we took it easy and stayed close to the hotel. I know more snorkeling was involved in the protected reef area off our hotel for Grama and Daddy. I know Jenna got more pool time. She also got to play in the sand, hence the creation of another heirloom photo below left. Isn't she just the cutest? And she also loved her nachos (like mother, like daughter) and is a cheesy face baby at lunch. You should have seen the wait staff come running with wet napkins to aid us.



Toward the end of the day, we visited a jewelry factory and YaYa and Grama each picked up some neat new treasures. Sadly, the only things that caught Mommy's eye were around $4000 and above so I declined a souvenir from there.

Day Seven - Friday, May 18th

We got up early to head to Telum. This is another ruin that J and I had visited before but were excited to go back because our last venture was via tour bus and we were rushed. Again, much had been roped off to protect and preserve these ruins so no climbing around.



Above left, passing through the main entrance. On the right, you can see the gorgeous ocean behind us.

By the way, this site was just teeming with people, but J has a way of waiting till just the right moment to capture no people (except us) in his shots. He's amazing!





In the above left photo, those elaborate stairs were not there 2 years ago to allow beach access. Pretty cool.
Again, we have a ton more photos but I'm trying to keep the post succinct (well, sort of.)



We bid Ariel our driver goodbye. He was excellent and we'd recommend a private van to anyone heading down there. Later in the day, Daddy took a snorkeling boat trip out somewhere in the Caribbean and really, really enjoyed it.


That night, we hung out, then had dinner at our usual table. And the artisans were back at the hotel, so Grama had a special souvenir made for herself, but she didn't make the poor man change it 90 times like I did.



Day Eight - Saturday, May 19th

We tried to make the best of departure day. Miss Jenna donned her extra super cute wet suit and we headed to play in the pool. Daddy went for another snorkeling excursion. We packed all the junk we took down there, plus all the junk we bought there and headed for the airport. Look at all our junk. We certainly didn't travel light.


This shot below is looking back at our hotel from the beach. We were on the 6th floor all the way to the far right. Ah, one last look before we took off for the airport. Boo hoo, vacation over.


We landed in San Diego at 10:30 at night completely exhausted. Again, Jenna was an angel on the shuttle, on the plane and car ride. What a great vacation baby!

Back At Home Again

On Sunday, May 20th, my Mom (aka YaYa) headed back to Kansas. Boo hoo. I thought about not taking her to the airport, but well, she is my mom and occasionally I still listen to her.
Below is a picture of our schwag (all the junk we acquired) and a separate pic of the tile the local artisan labored over and that I love so much. It isn't a beach from there, I actually had him recreate our honeymoon in Bora Bora. Tee hee.



And, I believe that sums it up. Vacation photos and details done.

1 comment:

RylansMom said...

It looks like you had a BLAST! I wish we could of gone. Maybe next time, huh? And so many cute pix of Jenna - love the wetsuit!!!